Monday, February 3, 2014

1/27/13
  
Dear Everyone, 

I had better start writing really fast because there is just so much to say. This has been a week to remember. I can say this because one day took up 4 pages in my journal...literally. Well I will just have to write some of the significant events that took place. The first and most significant event was a miracle that happened Saturday afternoon. It has to do with another referral. I am starting to realize how significant referrals are in missionary work (so I encourage all of you to start thinking of someone you know after you finish reading this letter.). 

Anyways the story begins 8 months ago when I was in I was in Lewiston. It was then that I received a letter from dad about some lady that he met on a business trip to Texas but her home is in Rochester. He told me about her in a letter (8 months ago) and had given me a piece of paper with her name and number, and said to "visit her whenever you go to Rochester", well after receiving this referral I used the excuses of "I am too far away to contact her and hardly ever make it down to Rochester", or "what would I be able to do way out here to help her?" I did all this to justify my lack of action, even though we are told when we first arrive in the mission field to contact referrals as SOON as possible. Anyways these excuse persisted but not without an occasional mental reminder to not to forget her. It was not until I was moved to Rochester that I could no longer put off or ignore the persistent thought of "CALL HER". This is what finally brought me call her. I have to be honest that before I ever called her I had a lot of fear inside me, telling me that this was going to be a failure and that discouragement would be the only result of this attempt. However I put it aside because of the Spirit of the Lord, which told me "the time is now" and that I needed to repent. The initial result of the phone call was way different than I had expected. It was a pleasant conversation between two friends, all because of the example that dad had set. The real tender mercy happened when she told me where she lived. Come to find out the place where she lives just happens to be 5 mins from my current apartment. Ridiculous! Right? All I can really say is that it was a faith building experience for me just knowing that the hand of the Lord is in our lives and that he is leading and guiding countless people and their circumstances to fulfill His Glorious Purpose. This was an amazing experience that was merely a result of some very small acts of Faith!


Another awesome experience I had this week was that same day. I had the opportunity to baptize an investigator in my last area. She asked me to baptize her however I had no way of making the 2 1/2 hour drive! Luckily I have the best Mission President in the world. He volunteered to drive my companion and I down to the baptism. It was an awesome experience and some good bonding time (he even let me drive his fancy car :) That was another tender mercy. 

The last experience I have to share took place yesterday. I am not sure if I can call this one a tender mercy? haha but it was a learning experience! About 8 o'clock yesterday morning I was asked to speak in church. Of course I was asked during ward council so I could not prepare and would immediately speak after that meeting. Anyways I was given free range on what to talk about but I was asked to speak for ten mins. I was not super scared but I was a little uneasy. This is only something that I had nightmares about before I left on my mission. Luckily I was not left alone up there. I spoke on Faith, of course (mainly because my companion was asked the week before to speak on repentance). It was a humbling experience and one that I will never forget. However, I have already forgot what I actually said while I was up there :) The Spirit was strong and I felt it as I spoke. 

I am so grateful for this "Mission Trip" as they call it in the NYRM. It has been the highlight of my 20 years of existence. I have found some very important things, mainly, how it is that we are supposed to live. I know that the most important thing that we need to do each day is to have the Spirit. If we do, we can never fail. 

Love you all,

Elder Bevan

No comments:

Post a Comment