Sunday, April 7, 2013

First letter from New York

 Joesph Smith's home in Palmyra New York
 Mission President Jack R Christanson and wife.
 My apartment
Me and my first companion Elder Danielson from Alpine, Utah


April 1, 2013
Happy Birthday Dad!!
 


 Hello,

     So I have a lot to tell you! That is for sure. I arrived in Rochester this Monday and was able to relax for a little bit at the mission home and eat some dinner. Our mission President did however keep us up until 1 am which was ridiculous (I got 4hrs of sleep in two days). On  Tuesday we woke up super early and drove to the church history sites and got to see where they were all at. After that we went and spent some time in the sacred Grove which was wonderful, a fun fact is it was the same exact day that Joseph Smith went into the grove and saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Its crazy to think that I was in there at the same place around the same time. 
     After the Sacred Grove we drove to our transfer meeting at the Stake Center where I met my companion Elder Danielson. He is a cool guy. I found out that everyone out here is from Utah, Idaho, or California. He is from Alpine, Utah. So anyways we were assigned to work in Lewiston New York which is just north of Niagra Falls. However for the past week we have been living in the ghetto of Niagra Falls. I always thought it would have been nice and very touristy but nope that is the Canadian side (which is just across the river from us). So Elder Danielson and I are opening a new area that has not had missionaries for a while, so we are basically starting from scratch! We have a ton of finding to do and are really working hard to get some investigators. We have found 4 new investigators from tracking which is rare here. All of our investigators as of now are women. We have three over the age of 60 one is 87 and the oldest is 93. Yeah for some reason they are the only people who will listen to us out here. Everyone else is "set" that is the typical response.
     My companion and I have really been trying to find some male investigators mainly because its hard to find members to come with you to teach. So as we were walking around we saw some people playing basketball and decided to go challenge them. So we told them if we win they have to listen to a lesson about Jesus. Well we played and we lost hahahah (we let them win) but afterwards they were really interested in why we were there and our lesson. So we got to teach them the lesson anyways. So we got some of there numbers and got 8 male potential investigators. It was pretty cool to see how things work out :) (my feet are all blistered from playing basketball in dress shoes.)
     Easter Sunday was pretty good. I got to meet all of the ward which is not that big and covers three of our areas. We have three sets of missionaries in one ward which shows you how big the ward boundaries are. Anyways during sacrament the Bishop had me come up and bear my testimony which was cool. (our fast Sunday is after GC). So for P-day we are finally moving out of the ghetto and into our actually area in Lewiston!! 

My Address is
440 ridge street
apartment #2
Lewiston, NY 14092
     So now you can send letters straight to me because I am three hours away from the mission home! Ask me any questions I did not answer!

Love,
Elder Bevan

No comments:

Post a Comment