Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August 12, 2013

Dear Everyone,

Well Cattaraugus is awesome.
 
There have been some physical, and spiritually challenging events this week. Everything has happened for the best however. One of the physical challenges that happened was when we decided to walk to visit with some less active members (so we could save some miles on the car). We left the house around 10 am and did not get home until 4 pm. It would not have been so bad if the weather would have cooperated. Instead it was the hottest day of the week and also the most humid. We walked a total of 13 miles. I ruined a white shirt and got the worst sun burn/tan lines. I am now in the process of shedding my skin so it is fantastic :) It was a challenging day but it always feels rewarding to go out and work your hardest and return home tired.
 
 
I have grown to love the reservation several reasons. The main reason is the dogs/puppies that roam around. I have made it my goal to teach every dog how to sit and stay. So far I have been able to train two puppies that were following us as we were walking around (I carry around slim jims, they seem to do the job). This past week we had the chance to organize a little basketball game (like we had going in my last area) it took place in the church on the rez, and we had about15 guys there (all non members). It was a great experience. I taught a quick gospel lesson before we played, we said a prayer, and then I smashed all of them hahaha. I just want to inform all of you that I was the only white man amongst a whole lot of Indians. I was a little nervous at first but it was a really awesome experience.
 
The last experience that I had this week was something I think Heavenly Father has been trying to remind me so I can be an example to my companion. Ever since I got to this area I have allowed my companion to take/keep the reins in hopes that I would be able to learn how he worked the area before. Well within this past week I have learned that he was not a "go getter". So that has required me to take charge and to be the leader. I was a little uncomfortable with this at first especially because he works so well with the natives. I just felt like not enough was getting done so after some divine guidance through prayers, studies, and a Sunday school lesson this past Sunday I now feel comfortable. I am so grateful for these challenges that I have placed before me so that I can better myself and hopefully help those around me. I am starting to see why I am having some of these challenges and seeing this only makes me want to do better.
 
Thanks so much for your letters and prayers I have been really blessed from the things that you have said. It seems as if the things that are said in your letters are just what I need to hear exactly when I need to hear it. So props to you and keep it up. Aside from all this everything is going well. The apartment is great! ahah I heard a mouse creeping around my bed last night so that was exhilarating! I heard mom was having a hoot while reading about the spiders! I am glad she is enjoying it. I have sprayed every window sill and every crack and crevice with bug killer in hopes that it will prevent them from entering in. Well it is great being a missionary. I wouldn't trade it for anything! 
 
Love 

 
Elder Bevan

No comments:

Post a Comment