Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September 3, 2013

Dear Everyone,

I can not believe I am almost half way through with week six! It is all just going by way too fast! My companion is really nervous about leaving. Since he has been here for over 6 months and loves it here. I am not sure if I am ready for him to go since he is so good at talking with all the Indians! 

So the weather up here is beginning to change! The leaves are starting to change colors and the days are getting colder and colder! I have heard that this is supposed to be the worst winter they have had in a while so wish me luck!!! Our Corn Soup Project is really turning out awesome! We had three indian ladies stop in and have some and they said it was amazing! I dont know what that means? Either I am a good chef or a good indian haha. It was even cooler that they wanted to learn about our church and find out what we believed! We taught them the Restoration and gave them all a Book of Mormon and a pamphlet to go! I am not sure if all this publicity is a direct result of church attendance but it seemed like there were more non members at church on Sunday than there were members! 

I have had quite the experience this week. I have learned a lot of patience. I mean I kind of asked for it since that has been my focus for most of this week during my personal study! Heavenly Father sure has his ways of teaching you things however.
 
I know the spider stories are getting old well let me tell you that the first hand experiences are getting even older! Every single day for this past week I have found at least one spider in my bed. They really seem to love my pillow because I will pick it up really quick and low and behold one comes darting out from underneath. I am to the point were I am not even surprised. I sort of just laugh. This is what brought me to the conclusion that in order to be a great missionary you can not be afraid of Spiders.

One of the things I learned this week is there is a lot of power in listening. I guess this just kind of goes a long with my study of patience. My biggest flaw is I always have something good to say. Whether or not it is right for the person to hear is a different story. I had a really great experience about an hour ago as I was meeting with a former investigator. He has been investigating now for 5 years...He loves to talk and I am sure would talk all over you if you let him but for some reason I felt no need to talk. My companion and I sat and listened and really allowed what he said to sink into our hearts to the point where I really felt like I knew what he was going through and let me tell you this man has gone through a lot. The whole time I was focusing on him Scriptures just kept popping into my head however I would just acknowledge them and sort of push them aside. After about 45 mins of listening He stopped talking and I just felt the Spirit enter in the room as we began to speak. My tongue was loosed to the point where I was learning from the things I was saying! I really felt this man was loved and needed to feel this way since he had suffered so much.

Well the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the way, Faith is the power, Love is the motive, Obedience is the price, and Joy is the reward! Keep remembering the blessings you receive and pray always! 

Love,

Elder Bevan

No comments:

Post a Comment